Monday, January 01, 2007

Tres holidays

It's been awhile since I've posted. I guess when you fall out of habit of blogging it's hard to get back into it. So what's happened to me the past five weeks? Mary's come and gone, twice. The LVs have come, the JVs have come. I've spent Thanksgiving in New Jersey, Christmas in California, and New Year's Eve in Brooklyn. Where to start?

Mary and I have certainly been spoiled by the holidays. We had five straight days together over Thanksgiving weekend and ten total days together over the Christmas break. I think being in a long-distance relationship that works can be, while painful, really good for the relationship in a sense. You don't really appreciate how much someone means to you until you have to live without them for weeks at a time. I don't know how long-distance relationships worked before cell phones, e-mail and instant messanger.

The same way goes, I feel, for home - both the loved ones at home and the place itself. I was amazed by how much I appreciated being "home" in the college sense. That is, you know you don't live there anymore but you still feel so comfortable there. I quickly forgot that I had an apartment, a job, and a whole life 3,000 miles away. Zach Braff described the seemingly haphazard plot of "Garden State" as being just like actually going home: there's no set order to what happens, you just seem to bounce from place to place to place without a plan. It's both saddening and comforting those brief hours (or minutes) you see old friends. Saddening to realize that you can only really connect with these people once or twice a year, comforting to know that the friendship is strong enough to suffer because of that.

Likewise, coming back to New York wasn't that big of a deal. Like going home, there was no "well, I'm home" or "I can't believe I live so far away" or anything like that. As small and cluttered my apartment is, it's my new home and I feel comfortable there as well.

I never thought I'd have a chance to experience New Year's Eve in Times Square. I never thought I'd pass it up to go to Brooklyn. I'm glad I did. The Jesuit Volunteers are a fun bunch, and I hope to get to know better the ones who live here in New York City. It was all so simple: some Chinese food, a few beers, and a rooftop with a clear view of the Manhattan skyline on a clear night were all that were needed to ring in 2007.

Besides, Mary and I decided to save Times Square for next year.

So after an eventful week and a half, it will be weird to start the normal routine again tomorrow. I really don't know how productive I'm going to be at work tomorrow (sorry Kevin). I'm going to try to post more often, but I want to get past this "here's what I did today" phase. Have any ideas on something to write about?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So how did I forget that you had this blog? I'm a bad friend!

Many of the feelings/thoughts you wrote here seem to echo mine about returning "home" to Livermore, seeing friends, returning to our new home, etc.

It was so great to see you in December! Thanks again for the picture you gave us- we likes it. We finally got some nails for hanging pictures so we hope to have it up soon.

As for long distant relationships... yeah, they can be challenging, and they can be really really great as well. It still seems novel to me to see Wyatt every day. I'm glad that you two had a nice time together over the holidays.

/ramble