Thursday, April 26, 2007

Leaving Los Angeles

I think I'm officially over L.A. When I really think back on it, all the years I lived in California I always passed through L.A. - on the way to Disneyland, San Diego, etc. - but never really spent much time actually in L.A. The past three days I was in downtown Los Angeles and I wasn't all that impressed. Overall this past week and a half, being in Southern California reminded me of all the reasons why I prefer Northern California. L.A. and Vicinity is just so big and so crowded, and the smog is depressing.

What I've essentially decided is that I enjoy Southern California as long as its not L.A. County or Orange County. I love San Diego (and Oceanside - thanks Bex), and today I visited Ventura, which was also beautiful. I think in L.A. and Orange County the great weather and great scenery is almost ruined by the incredible amount of people there.

Also, L.A. people should learn how to drive in the rain. There was a moderate shower on Friday and the freeways were jammed from all of the accidents.

Am I a hypocrite for saying that L.A. is too crowded when I live in the most densely populated place in the United States (Manhattan)? I don't necessarily think so. New York seems to manage its population better. Yes the city can be a big place, but everyone is moving so fast and so in sync that it works. It's almost as if there is a controlled chaos with thousands of unwritten rules in New York that everyone knows and follows. Plus, the subway actually works. That helps a lot. L.A. will always win on weather though. Can't help that.

A quick recap of what the last week and a half has held for me. Six fairs: Ontario, San Diego, Santa Monica, Anaheim, L.A. and Ventura. I drove the L.A.-San Diego express about four or five times, which got old quickly. I rekindled my love for San Diego. I got to see Becky and spend a couple days with her in Oceanside. I got to see my family and spend a couple days with them in Anaheim (and Disneyland!). Got to see my brother's workshow in Irvine. While in L.A. I did spend some time going to Hollywood and being a tourist there, which was fun.

I'm looking very much forward to a week and a half in Northern California. No matter how much I love New York, the Bay Area is home. I have to get up in about 6 hours to catch my quick flight up to SFO so it's off to bed. So long, Southern California. It's been fun (except you L.A. - you're on notice).

No comments: