Sunday, April 15, 2007

Several updates for this post. It's been a long couple of weeks. This post really moves in three acts. First up is Easter weekend. Mary came to the city, and her brother Damien and his friend Steve flew in from California. We had a pretty busy weekend. Lunch in the East Village on Friday got things started. Saturday we got up early and took a cab to Brooklyn where Damien showed us around his own neighborhood. We then walked across the Brooklyn Bridge into lower Manhattan, making our way up through TriBeCa, Little Italy and Soho (which I had never been to before) before Mary and I called it a day and headed home for a bit. We met them and Zabala in the Upper West Side for dinner and drinks later. Sunday we celebrated the resurrection of our Lord by going to a Yankees game. Go Jesus. Sunday night was overpriced Mexican food, and Monday Mary went home, but not before surprising me by showing up at the college to meet me for lunch.

The second act is the incredibly long week I had at work. Tuesday night we had an event on campus. Wednesday we had our second accepted students day and I had a fair two hours away in New Jersey that night. Thursday I had another fair. I was essentially working (when not sleeping) from 9 a.m. Tuesday until about 9:30 p.m. Thursday. Needless to say, I was ridiculously exhausted come Friday night. It's such a shame that we don't get overtime. Or even comp time. At least the boss (apparently) doesn't really keep track of vacation days.

Finally, I'm writing this in a hotel in Southern California. I'll be on the West Coast for three weeks during my much-hyped and much-anticipated recruiting trip out here. Truth be told, I'm incredibly lucky to be out here at all. According to the news right now, over 500 flights to and from the Northeast have been cancelled because of the massive storm that's settled over New York City and the Eastern Seaboard. So the mere fact that my flight took off without a minute of delay and landed early is nothing short of miraculous.

I'll be in Ontario, Ca. until Tuesday when I make my way down to San Diego. Later in the week I'll head back north to Oceanside and Anaheim, then Los Angeles early next week. Thursday I fly up to the Bay Area where I'll be until the end of the first week of May. I'll try to post more often as I'm here because I'm sure (or rather, I muse) that I'll have things to post about.

No comments: