Monday, September 18, 2006

First travel trip almost over

Tonight is my last night in Pittsburgh. I actually enjoyed my stay in the city quite a bit. Pittsburgh I think gets kind of a bum rap (kind of like New Jersey) but it's for the most part a nice city. It's extremely scenic, because it's so hilly (almost as much as San Francisco!). I did my one touristy thing today and went up the Duquesne Incline - technically a public transit method - which is a cable car that scales Mt. Washington and gives an amazing panoramic view of the Ohio, Allegheny and Monogahela Rivers, the "Golden Triangle" downtown at the covergence of the Three Rivers, the sports comlexes along the rivers, and the hills all around the city. I'll post a picture once I get home and can upload one.

Some interesting things about Pittsburgh: 1) despite the amazing amount of bridges and tunnels, there are no tolls to cross any of them (what a thought!); 2) it is the worst city I've ever driven in (yes, worse than New York) because there is no rhyme or reason to the streets, the lights are horribly timed, and there are few if any directional signs; 3) driving is further complicated by the fact that freeway onramps have stop signs, so you have to come to a complete stop before merging onto the freeway; 4) it gets very foggy in the mornings here; 5) there is construction on basically every road.

So what did I do today? Woke up at the crack of dawn to drive to a high school about 15 miles north of the city for a presentation, then a second high school about 15 miles east of the city, and then a third school about 15 miles northwest of the city (well-planned, I know). Despite my anxieties, the presentations went well, except for the last school, at which no one showed up. Tomorrow I have two more schools to visit, and then the long, long drive home.

At dinner tonight (TGI Friday's) I was listening to a conversation between the bartender and another person about Islam and the war on terror, etc. The bartender just kept saying things like "they want to kill you and your family and so we need to just blow them up before they blow us up or we won't win." It just blew me away how uninformed he was. If I was less disiplined maybe I would have cut in and said something like:

"You can't win. You can't win the war on terror. That's not the point. It's not meant to be won, it's meant to be perpetuated so that we'll spend more money on defense. There will always be people who hate us, and there will always be people who want to destroy us. That comes with being the most powerful nation in the world. But don't say that they hate us because they hate our freedom because that's not the case. They have wants and needs and desires and we better figure them out soon because right now we're not making any new friends by blowing up their poorest countries. We can't win, so we can either keep killing civillians in Iraq and Afghanistan, or we can start working to alleviate some of the problems that cause terrorism so that terrorist is less attractive to a young, rebellious 18-year-old Musilm man."

Do you ever get the feeling that you're just more clued in than almost everyone around you? That's how I feel these days.

No comments: